Monday, June 19, 2006

Driving Under the Full Moon

Happy Birthday Randy!!! Today is Randy's 27th birthday (he is so old - he robbed the cradle) and since he is out of town on business today we spent the weekend celebrating. We went to Red Lobster, on an 8 mile bike ride with Zipper (more on this in a later post), to a barbecue, and did some spontaneous late-night shopping for our upcoming camping trip. It was one of those fun, spur-of-the-moment type weekends that we don't seem to have much anymore. The kind of weekend where you don't have expectations so everything is fun and flexible - the kind we used to have all the time in high school and college. The kind where you stay out late but don't feel tired and drive around going wherever your whim takes you, forgetting all your cares.

This kind of weekend was a gift to Randy in and of itself - he didn't have to plan or stress about what to do. But by far the best gift of the weekend was given to him from a kind stranger with whom we crossed paths on Friday night. And it turned out to be a gift for me as well.

We enjoyed a late dinner at Red Lobster (well Randy enjoyed the food - I had to be content just enjoying the company since my fish was really bad - Randy confirmed it - it wasn't just me being picky) and afterwards decided to go to the 24 hour Wal-Mart to look for a bike rack for our car. We left Red Lobster and leisurely drove toward Wal-Mart as we listened to the Beatles and Randy spoke on his cell phone.

As we stopped at a red light I felt Randy furiously elbowing me and motioning for me to look over through his window. As I gazed out the window I noticed that something big and round was sticking out of the back, passenger side window of the SUV stopped next to us as well as a waving arm sticking out of the front window. At first my brain did not register exactly what this object was - and about a half second later it hit me: Oh my goodness - its a butt!!!

Yes, my dear readers, this is an account of our first ever mooning (as the moon-ers or the moon-ees) and it was fantastic. I highly recommend it. Picture casually looking over and seeing an identity-less butt protruding out a car window and dancing around merrily as the front passenger motions you to drive up closer to get an even better look. FYI - we decided the view from where we were was just fine.

The only down side was that we risked running off the road in our moon-induced laughing fit. We don't know who these people are, why they chose to share their moon with us, or where they may strike next. We only know that they were ambassadors of humor, selflessly giving of themselves to brighten the lives of strangers in the night. It was seriously the highlight of our weekend (and we had a great weekend). We laughed so hard - we couldn't believe it had actually happened.

From Wikipedia: Mooning is the act of displaying one's bare buttocks by lowering the back side of one's trousers and underpants. Mooning is used in some cultures to express protest, scorn, disrespect, or provocation. It can also be done for shock value or fun. So whatever your mooning mission, thank you kind stranger. Shine on!

Camera Update
The Zipper-damaged cord needed to upload pictures from my camera has been ordered and shipped - soon to arrive in my mailbox. So look for photo-filled posts any day now. I have tons of photos from this weekend which I will share soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home