Monday, April 16, 2007

The Torid and True Details of My Illicit Affair

Well, I promised I'd tell all, and in true tabloid style, I'm prepared to expose my affair to the world.
Okay - here it goes:
Knitting was my first real hobby love - a crush that turned into the real thing. But recently, my hands have been wondering.....
I still love knitting - the way the little "v's" look in stockinette stitch, the endless stitch and pattern possibilities - everything. But.....

I've started "seeing" another hobby: crochet. Ahhh - it feels so good to finally say it! It all started innocently enough - I was reading a blog and looking at the gorgeous pictures of a Granny Square Afghan in the making. And one thing led to another and before I knew it I was glued to the computer, looking at all kinds of crazy pictures - it just happened so fast!

Temptation got the best of me and I let my infatuation take over. I got a hook, I checked out a book on crochet from the library, I found some yarn that compliments my bedroom. And then, I started experimenting around. It was all innocent enough at first - just healthy exploration - normal for a girl my age. But it was addicting and I couldn't stop. Before I knew it, I had this:

Though I was finding much excitement and satisfaction from all my multicolored squares and dreaming of what they will look like when they become my masterpiece blanket, my affair was bittersweet. I would pass by my lonely knitting basket and notice so many unfinished projects - a scarf, a sock, an afghan, a sweater, etc. Was I neglecting knitting? Was the fire gone from our relationship? I didn't think so, but I did do a lot of soul searching.

Despite my concerns I couldn't help myself. What crochet and I have feels too right even if its wrong. And if being wrong feels this good, I don't want to be right! The relationship moved to a new level this past weekend. I started another blanket. I know, I know - I should have learned my lesson the first time. But how was I supposed to resist after I found this? Though it may be graphic, I must post more pictures of the newest fling. Look away if you must.



Like I said before, I've been doing a lot of soul-searching throughout this process and I think I have achieved peace. Call it justification if you want, but I think that knitting and I are mature enough to transition into an "open relationship". You know - free love and following your heart. Heck - sometimes knitting itself even cozies up with crochet and cohabits the same garment or project.

I sat the kids down and explained our new arrangement with them. While the cats are still adjusting to the idea, Zipper was very forward-thinking and accepted it right away; a sure sign that it can't be bad.


So, with much courage I stand before you today (electronically speaking) and profess, with pride: I Am A Hooker!

2 Comments:

Blogger brooke t. higgins said...

I don't even know what to say. Et tu, Zipper?

1:18 PM

 
Blogger Lori Ann Pannier said...

I am ....shocked....agast. Resist the dark side, Kimmie! Come back into the light!

1:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home